Jub Jub closing statements postponed
SA rapper Molemo 'Jub Jub' Maarohanye and co-accusers' defense will have a little bit more time to make their closing statements after they were postponed by the judge.
The proceedings in the Protea Magistrates’ Court will resume on 18 July.
Maarohany's lawyer, Ike Motloung, completed his closing arguments late on 16 July but Mlungiseleli Sovithi, who is represnting co-accused Tshabalala, would present his arguments tomorrow.
Motloung argued that Maarohanye’s trial had been unfair and prejudicial and questioned the testimony of most of the State witnesses.
Maarohanye and Tshabalala are facing charges of murder, reckless or negligent driving, and driving under the influence of drugs and alcohol.
Together with his friend Themba Tshabalala, Jub Jub killed four schoolchildren and critically injuring two others when they drag raced on Mdlalose Street in Protea, Soweto, on 8 March 2010 while allegedly drunk and high on drugs.
On Monday 5 December 2011, he denied that his car was the one that crashed into a group of schoolchildren in Protea North on 8 March 2010.
The rapper told the court that he did not hit any of the children.
"I did not hit anybody. When I hit the tree there was no one I had hit," he said in the Protea Magistrate's Court in response to questions from his lawyer Ike Motloung.
The controversial musician also denied that he was friends with his co-accused, Themba Tshabalala in previous statements. He described Tshabala as someone who always brought his artist, Phumelele 'Bones' Vezi, to shows
Date Posted : 17 Jul 2012